Youth Climathon Call for Applications
11th Asia-Pacific Forum on Sustainable Development Youth Climathon is inviting interested young climate activists to support development and implementation of innovative climate action solutions!
Climathon, organized by United Nations ESCAP, Hackathon Thailand, Youth Empowerment in Climate Action Platform, GCAP, and the Asia LEDS Partnership, aims to engage youth in the climate dialogue. It is an associated event to the 11th Asia-Pacific Forum on Sustainable Development (APFSD), that will take place on 20-23 February 2024. As an annual inclusive intergovernmental forum, APFSD examines crises of poverty, food security, and climate change and reviews progress on the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the Sustainable Development Goals. As such, the climate action ideathon (i.e. “climathon”) will engage youth from the Asia-Pacific region to develop practical yet innovative solutions on the one of the following topics:
• Electric mobility.
• Climate smart agriculture and food systems.
• Climate resilient/adaptive cities.
• Natural ecosystem preservation (terrestrial, marine, and freshwater ecosystems).
• Just transition.
Apart from an incredible opportunity of networking and collaboration, the three best solutions from Climathon will be presented at a panel of judges during the 11th Asia-Pacific Forum on Sustainable Development in Bangkok, Thailand. The winning team will have an opportunity to present their ideas at the 11th APFSD exhibition space, and potential opportunities to participate in future events. The tentative program for Climathon is:
• January 1st—Application deadline.
• January 2nd – 13th—Team formation, two-day online kickoff, and development of solutions.
• January 13th—Submission of solution.
• January 13th – 20th—Review and semi-final pitching.
• January 20 – February 18th—Top submissions are announced, further arrangements are made.
• February 19 or 20th—Three top teams pitch their solutions to a panel of judges at the APFSD.
• February 20 – 21st—Presentation at exhibition space.
Climathon is open to young people ages 18-30 from ESCAP member States and will be held in English. The background in climate action is not required, as the information session will be provided. Diversity and inclusion are also important considerations. If you are interested, please apply by December 31st at https://bit.ly/ClimathonApply
Get involved in GCAP!
Join our member network through the GCAP registration form linked below.
As you complete the GCAP registration form, indicate which Working Groups and Communities of Practice you would like to join.